Monday, September 8, 2008

1st Trip to Labor & Delivery

Well, it has been quite the eventful day! Today was our first (and hopefully last until she's ready) visit to L & D. I woke up this morning at 5:30 with severe cramps. I haven't had any cramps since menstrual cycles before Audrey was even conceived. But these were like period cramps times 1,000. I drank a lot of water this morning to try and get them to go away. Around 9:00 I was urged to call my dr. to see what to do. It took FOREVER to hear back. So, I started timing my contractions/braxton hicks. They were anywhere from 10-15 min apart and about 15 - 45 sec. long. This would be considered "untimeable."

Finally, my Dr. called back and said, as soon as your contractions get to be 10-12 min apart call me back. I told her they were already pretty close to that so I was urged to go immediately to the Birthplace. Meanwhile, I never once had a feeling that "this was it." So we went through with my school birthplan, and I was driven to the hospital.

I was hooked up to a bunch of machines to check Audrey's heartrate and my contractions. They were not consistent enough to be in active labor--- thank God!!! Audrey was great though--- she went wild kicking and then got the hiccups for about 10 minutes and they were really loud on her monitors! My urine tests came back and pretty much this is all the result of a severe bladder infection. Not sure when this might have happened, but apparently it can cause all of the above symptoms. I was sooooo relieved to know Audrey wasn't making her entrance today--- we didn't even have hospital bags packed!!! I did have my first internal exam---- OW----- and I am already 50% effaced at 1 day shy of 35 weeks. I was sort of surprised to hear that--but again it could take forever to progress! I had a stern talk with Audrey that she is NOT to make her entrance until September 23 or later (37 weeks).

Yesterday I had my first baby shower! It was sooooo much fun! Of course everyone spoiled Audrey rotten. We got so many amazing things for her. I truly have never felt so blessed in my life. It was also incredible to see everyone after so long apart! Jedd and I spent the evening putting all her stuff in her room and trying to organize it! One more shower next weekend with Jedd's family and then we can go out and purchase all of the remaining things we need!

No comments: